“So I find myself speechless, an animal unheard of…my father is now on comfort care, unexpected to live past the weekend. Who prepares you for such a calamity of events? Who prepares you for a hostile mother, wickedness and comfortable in her environment. I’m not prepared, is anyone?”
This is an actual facebook post of an acquaintance of mine.
As I read it I felt my heart break a little. Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus and you can prepare for calamities like this. In fact, preparing for them often prevents them from becoming calamities. (You can prepare, you are just never ‘ready’.)
Let me let you in on something else….that acquaintance? She’s a registered nurse with a law degree. She’s is highly educated and works WITHIN the medical system!
We can’t keep living like we are immortal! The moment we are born we have a date with death. To see that perspective as ‘morbid’ is nothing more than denial at its finest.
Emotional Estate Planning is the forethought of emotional, psychological and spiritual preparation for your transition. Emotional Estate Planning ensures that you leave nothing ‘undone’ and that your loved ones feel supported during and after your passing.
If you answer yes to any of the following questions, then it is time to start emotional estate planning now.
- Have you lost one or both of your parents?
- Have you, or anyone you love, had a life-threatening medical scare?
- Have you had a partner die?
- Have you, or anyone you love, received a life-limiting diagnosis?
- Have you, or anyone you love, experienced a decline in health in the past five years?
- Do you have a family?
- Do you have children?
- Have you experienced the sudden loss of someone dear to you and were left with the feeling of “I wish I had one more day with them”?
- Have you had conversations about your wishes for medical interventions or post-mortem services but haven’t documented it?
- Did you answer no to all of the above?
If you answered yes to any of the above -including #10, it wasn’t a trick question- then it’s appropriate to schedule an Initial Inventory Planning Session with an experienced guide.
The session is 90 minutes long and includes a copy of LIFE’S Book: Healing Rites of Passage End of Life Planner, that has everything you will need to easily create, update and maintain your emotional estate planning.
We even work nationally and internationally with the help of video. Upon receipt of payment we will send your book and conduct a video session after you receive it.